Where do you find comfort?

For suggestions on what helps us cope after our lives have been affected by suicide.

Re: Where do you find comfort?

Postby jbrules1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:55 pm

I find comfort in my children can still tell me they love me inspite of me being stressed out all the time
Micky, A loveing and the best father, and the most wonderful husband my soul mate. 29/3/2010
jbrules1
Regular

Postby mydnyghtamethyst » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:42 am

I find comfort in watching old wrestling tapes/DVD because it was one of our closest shared hobbies/fandoms.
mydnyghtamethyst

Postby karenp » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:55 pm

I find comfort in journaling my feelings and writing what I am grateful for.

KarenP
karenp
Regular

Postby Blossom » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:01 am

Need to do something about my atrocious fitness....when I walk though, I am so so slow...and this is comforting - as though it is the right speed for my heart to come up and meet my head. I feel like I am revealed to myself. It is bitter-sweet stuff. It always feel overdue...
Blossom x

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
Blossom
Mentor

Postby Crystl » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Crystl
Supporting

Postby Bereaved1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi, Crystal, here's a hug........................(((hug)))) hope it helps.
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

Postby cali » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:07 am

I figured out today, and probably have in the past too, but forgot- that one reason I feel so dead is I have a belief that because I lost my son I do not deserve to live. I just have these animals to try and care for, 2 old cats, a sweetly retarded dog and a sweet but fierce puppy. Sometimes I just feel overwhelmed and resentful that they keep me here. I don't know how to feel grateful for them, but I do appreciate them, as they are all nice creatures. I wish people were as nice. But then I looked at this post again, on the way to posting this, and I do find comfort when my son's friends reach out to me. I love them for that....((Crystl))
cali
Supporting

Postby Crystl » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:17 am

Bereaved1 wrote:Hi, Crystal, here's a hug........................(((hug)))) hope it helps.

thanks bereaved1 (hugs) back
Crystl
Supporting

Postby Bereaved1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Crystal, have you tried E.M.D.R. for complicated grief? There's a good article at http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/ ... n-e-m-d-r/

This part especially...

Q.
Has E.M.D.R. been successful in treating P.T.S.D. or complicated grief from loss of a child from suicide?
Karen Schreiber, Palo Alto

A.
Dr. Shapiro responds:

With the sudden loss of a child from any cause, a parent can be troubled by intrusive thoughts and images. Many times these include images of the deceased in pain, or the scene of death — real or imagined. The negative emotions can often involve feelings of sorrow about things the grieving person now wishes he or she could have done, or guilt about mistakes or things not done. These feelings can be overwhelming. In addition, people are often unable to remember the person at all without the intrusion of such thoughts and imagery.

E.M.D.R. therapy has been very successful in addressing these grief-related issues. In a multi-site study published in the journal Research on Social Work Practice, E.M.D.R. significantly reduced symptoms more often than cognitive behavior therapy on behavioral measures, and on four of five psychosocial measures. E.M.D.R. was more efficient, inducing change at an earlier stage and requiring fewer sessions. After treatment, those who had received E.M.D.R. could remember the deceased in a positive way, without the negative emotions. The heartfelt connection was still there, but without the pain.

I hope this helps. It has been 3 1/2 years since my fiancé passed. I didn't have my own kids, but I do have complicated grief. I had a few E.M.D.R. sessions and find Dr. Shapiro's latest book very helpful http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Past-Your ... 564&sr=8-1
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

Postby gosh » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:20 am

I'm trying to find comfort in music and reading books my brother left and believe me there are maaany of them.
Euphoria, Euphoria, you come at such a price
Every time I get a hold of you, I know I roll the dice
How far can I go from my pain before it takes my life?
Perhaps in death, Euphoria, you'll be forever mine
gosh
Regular

Previous

Return to Coping