The Dragonfly Story

For inspirational poems or quotes. Please include the name of the author.

The Dragonfly Story

Postby NancyClaire » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:58 pm

The Dragonfly Story

Down below the surface of a quiet pond lived a little colony of water bugs. They were a happy colony, living far away from the sun. For many months they were very busy, scurrying over the soft mud on the bottom of the pond. They did notice that every once in a while one of their colony seemed to lose interest in going about with its friends. Clinging to the stem of a pond lily, it gradually moved out of sight and was seen no more.
“Look!” said one of the water bugs to another. “One of our colony is climbing up the lily stalk. Where do you suppose she is going?” Up, up, up she went slowly. Even as they watched, the water bug disappeared from sight. Her friends waited and waited but she didn't return.
“That's funny!” said one water bug to another. “Wasn't she happy here?” asked a second water bug. “Where do you suppose she went?” wondered a third.
No one had an answer. They were greatly puzzled. Finally one of the water bugs, a leader in the colony, gathered his friends together. “I have an idea. The next one of us who climbs up the lily stalk must promise to come back and tell us where he or she went and why.”
“We promise”, they said solemnly.
One spring day, not long after, the very water bug who had suggested the plan found himself climbing up the lily stalk. Up, up, up, he went. Before he knew what was happening, he had broken through the surface of the water and fallen onto the broad, green lily pad above. Weary from his journey, he slept.
When he awoke, he looked about with surprise. He couldn't believe what he saw. A startling change had come to his old body. His movement revealed four silver wings and a long tail. Even as he struggled, he felt an impulse to move his wings. The warmth of the sun soon dried the moisture from the new body. He moved his wings again and suddenly found himself up above the water. He had become a dragonfly!!
Swooping and dipping in great curves, he flew through the air. He felt exhilarated in the new atmosphere. By and by the new dragonfly lighted happily on a lily pad to rest. Then it was that he chanced to look below to the bottom of the pond. Why, he was right above his old friends, the water bugs! There they were scurrying around, just as he had been doing some time before.
Then the dragonfly remembered the promise: “The next one of us who climbs up the lily stalk will come back and tell where he or she went and why.” Without thinking, the dragonfly darted down. Suddenly he hit the surface of the water and bounced away. Now that he was a dragonfly, he could no longer go into the water...
“I can't return!” he said in dismay. “I tried, but I can't keep my promise. Even if I could go back, not one of the water bugs would know me in my new body. I guess I'll just have to wait until they become dragonflies, too. Then they'll understand what happened to me, and where I went.”
And the dragonfly winged off happily into its wonderful new world of sun and air.......
Thank you, God, for the story of the water bugs and the dragonflies. By Doris Stickney
NancyClaire
Regular

Re: The Dragonfly Story

Postby BKB » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Kay jewelers (also known by a few other chain names if you google them) sells a beautiful dragonfly necklace with small diamonds and pearls for an affordable price. I wear mine everyday as a reminder. I was also told once that it is a symbol of a creature who can demonstrate the power of continual movement/ flight while appearing perfectly still and at peace. That speaks to me!
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don't, none will do....Anonymous
BKB

Postby Hugz22 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:12 pm

I read a story just like this one in "Chicken Soup for the Greiving Soul"

A group of water bugs was talking one day about how they saw other water bugs climb up a lily pad and disappear from sight. They wondered where the other bugs could have gone. They promised one another that if one of them ever went up the lily pad and disappeared, it would come back and tell the others where it had gone. About a week later, one of the water bugs climbed p the lily pad and emerged on the other side. As it sat there, it transformed into a dragonfly. Its body took on an iridescent sheen, and four beautiful wings sprouted from its back. The dragonfly flapped its wings and took off in flight, doing loops and spins through the sunlit sky. In the midst of its joyful flight, it remembered to promise it had made to return and tell the other bugs where it had gone. So the dragonfly swooped down to the surface of the water and tried to reenter the water, but try as it would, it could not return.

The dragonfly said to itself;

Well, I tried to keep my promise, but even if I did return, the others wouldn’t recognize me in my new glorious body. I guess they will just have to wait until they climb the lily pad to find out where I have gone and what I have become.

When I read this I looked everywhere for signs that my Father was around me. I thought that I would have to look hard, because he is in his new body and I was affraid that I would not be able to recognize him. One day when I was very busy running around and getting things done, I stopped and noticed the butterflies. I sat down and was surrounded by butterflies, I knew that it was my Dad he wanted me to know that he was alright. I hope that everyone may experience a sign from their loved ones. It may not be what you expect, remember that they are no longer in their earth body, they can't write you a note but they are still there, they are always with you. <3<3<3
Hugz22
Regular

Postby ScottsMom » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:27 pm

A pastor I know has used this story forever to help children understand death and how one changes upn passing. I love this story and its obviously as appealing to adults, nice. Thanx for posting.

It seems particularly appropriate in that water is so much like life, its flowing currents and its weight, can make things easier or pull you down. Then the freedom of escaping its dangers-- ah freedom. Fly Scotty, FLY!!!
V--
ScottsMom
Mentor

Postby Johnsmom » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:59 pm

This is good, I had to read it over and over because I am a believe I believe John is waiting for us. Thank you for being here.

Johns Mom
Johnsmom
Regular

Postby jakesmom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:59 am

This story means so much to me. It really made my day seeing it here. When my son Jake was 4 years old, my brother passed away. His pre-school teacher suggested this book to help "explain" things. The dragonfly became a very important symbol to all of us. Just 2 weeks before my sons death, he was riding in my husbands truck with him when a dragonfly flew in the window. He said "Look Dad...It's Uncle Jim!" He was 15 years old. On the day of my sons funeral, with all of our friends and family at his graveside, I read this story. It took everything I had to make it through the whole story, but I did it! And I'm so glad that I did. It meant something to Jake, it means something to me, and now it means something to our friends and family everytime they see a dragonfly. Thank you for making my day!
jakesmom
Visitor

Return to Inspiration