Help me out

Help teenagers who may have lost friends or famil members to suicide, in the hopes that they can find a safe place to discuss and share with each other.

Help me out

Postby Anon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:02 pm

My best friends dad recently killed himself. Me and the rest of his friends are having trouble on how we should help him and his brother grieve. This whole process is been very sad and the funeral viewing is in 3 hours. I am looking for help on how i as a friend can help his family through this hard time. I really liked his dad and this whole thing us quite sad.
Thanks in advance
Anon
Visitor

Re: Help me out

Postby Tootle » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:22 pm

I am sorry to hear that your best friends dad is gone, it's such a hard time for the family and everyone who knew him. You really and truly are a best friend because you are asking how to help and I think that's pretty awesome and supportive.
Ways that you could help would be just being there, to talk about his dad if he wants to..or just to be there. Sometimes your friend may repeat himself when talking about his dad, this is normal and try not to remind him that he already said that. Asking the family if you can help with anything. Not giving up on them when the tough times keep going, even though the funeral is happening, the grieving won't stop for a long time. You are an amazing friend to care like this and just being who you are will help your friend and his family thru more than you can imagine. Keep on with your continual contact with him and his family, that is what a true friend does and I wish I had one like you when my brother died.
Take care,
Toot
In memory of my big brother Rob, my hero and best friend.

To forget time. To forgive life. To be at peace.
Tootle
Active

Postby Nik's mum » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:24 pm

The best thing you can do is what you are doing. Be there for them, listen when they need to talk accept that they need to grieve and most of all understand that this is probably the worst thing any of them have faced. In time give them the address of this website as his family will need much support and they will find it here. Thinking of you all, especially his wife and children. Bless you for being so caring.(((hugs)))
It's easy to remember him I do it every day
But there's a pain within my heart that will never go away

http://nik-wilson.gonetoosoon.org/

love and miss you more each passing day
Nik's mum
Active

Postby crisa » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Very nice of you to be so concerned about how you can help your friend and his brother through their grief! I think you've gotten some good advice w/ the previous posts! It's very important that your friend and his brother feel like they can talk about their dad without making you feel awkward! Be as open minded and understanding as you possibly can! It will help them alot to do so! I say try to help the family with things around the house. Many times ppl feel as thought ppl forget about their lost loved one, once the funeral is over! Continuing to be there for them, is so very important!
Crystal
crisa
Active

Postby ARDsMother » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi, Anon, how are you and your friend's family doing now? Are you working through
this by continuing to read on our site?

xo
♥ I miss you, Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Sweetheart, every moment of every day... rest in peaceful slumber ღஜღ
http://www.gratefulness.org "pos" group for Parents of Suicide candles
ARDsMother
Regular

Return to Teenagers Remembering