PTSD

A discussion of any suicide issue or grief topic that don't fit elsewhere.

PTSD

Postby lonelymom » Wed May 16, 2012 1:57 am

Has anyone suffered from PTSD due to the trauma of finding their loved one? I think I might be suffering from it but don't know. Whenever I am in quiet time, whether it is trying t fall asleep, riding in the car, or any visual trigger such as driving past the hospital, I replay the morbid scene of finding him dead. The CPR. the ambulance crew, waiting in the grief room at the hospital, the Dr. talking to us, the police interview and our last time to see him. I visualize every detail down to the fact he needed to shave and the bandaid on his toe. I fall apart watching TV. Even the new TV show SMASH set me off when Ivy was grabbing for a bottle of pills. I lay awake until wee hours of the morning trying to get to sleep. Hard as I try to think about nice memories I always am brought back to the details of
March 7,2011. If I do have the symptoms over and above grief from a tragic loss, how is it treated? Thanks in advance for any inpit.
lonelymom
Regular

Re: PTSD

Postby Crystl » Wed May 16, 2012 5:45 am

I found this link for you ..I hope it helps
http://www.anxietyaustralia.com.au/anxi ... atic.shtml
and yes it sounds like your symptoms..
I also have PTSD although I didn't find my son I saw him before they took him away and that was distressing enough
i imagine your images to be even more distressing!

there have been others here who've used a treatment called EMDR with good results..I'm sure someone will tell you about it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_moveme ... processing

I have only had therapy with a psychologist and counselors and we really haven't used any techniques specifically for PTSD.
I am now taking meds which have somewhat dampened the symptoms.
I hope you are able to find some help that works and gives you some relief *hug*
Crystl
Supporting

Postby psyquestor » Wed May 16, 2012 5:50 am

(((((lonelymom)))))) Yes, I was diagnosed as having PTSD. I too found my son. The symptoms have lessened over the past year or so; mainly since I found a new therapist. Talk therapy has helped me to manage my PTSD. For awhile I was on anti-anxiety meds and this too helped.
Tammy
Proud Army Mom

I thought I would lay down and die after losing my Son to suicide.
Instead I chose to fight the monster that killed him.
http://www.afsp.org

Hold On, Pain Ends
psyquestor
Supporting

Postby cali » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:39 pm

Yes, I have had ptsd since I was a small child, and finding my son made it much worse. But since it has become such a recognized issue for soldiers, a lot more attention has been paid to effective treatment. Involving the nervous system and brain function combined with talk therapy has had good results for many people.
EMDR is one method. Brainspotting another. It's a very hard thing to navigate in combination with the grief. PTSD takes over our natural responses and makes it hard to stay in the moment. Breathing exercises and meditation can help too. I would suggest you research different treatments on the web, and see what appeals to you. If something does, then try to find a practioner who has experience with that area. You will come to a time when nice memories are remembered, not as an antidote to difficult ones, not as an exercise, but because they are there and they always will be.
cali
Supporting

Return to Miscellaneous