Grief around the world.

A discussion of any suicide issue or grief topic that don't fit elsewhere.

Grief around the world.

Postby lonelymom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:25 am

This is a question of curiosity. Do you think mothers around the world grieve the loss of a child as much as we all apparently do? Is our overwhelming depth of despair like that of a mother in a third world country? Or in the Amazon jungle? Am I bringing my Great Saddness on myself. Is suicide more prevlent in America and Canada? If it is why? What is it about our culture that sends people over the edge? Has anyone done any research on this? It won't change how sad I am but it may give some insight into coping. Just a thought.
lonelymom
Regular

Re: Grief around the world.

Postby cali » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:31 am

I think mothers everywhere grieve with the same intensity, even if the cultural coping mechanisms are different. Animals grieve, too. I cannot imagine that even the loved ones of the the suicides for public purpose (the Buddhist monks who lit themselves on fire against the Vietnam war, Kamikazes, people who blew themselves up for political or religious reasons, ultimately feel their loss any less than we do. It is hard to find really accurate suicide rates, because it is stigmatized around the world, but looking around the web, it seems there are many countries with much higher reported rates than those of most of the people on this forum. Japan and a lot of Eastern European countries seem to be doing it pretty tough.
cali
Supporting

Postby Nik's mum » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:41 am

I agree with Cali - a mother in the third worlds feels love the same as a mother in London or NY so the death of her child will be just as devastating for her as it is for us. A mothers love (or any love for that matter) is the same the world over and I don't think culture or wealth or poverty makes any difference to how we feel.
It's easy to remember him I do it every day
But there's a pain within my heart that will never go away

http://nik-wilson.gonetoosoon.org/

love and miss you more each passing day
Nik's mum
Active

Postby cali » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:26 am

cali
Supporting

Return to Miscellaneous