NPR Interview about Suicide

A discussion of news reports, articles, research, and education

NPR Interview about Suicide

Postby cali » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:21 pm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =126365907

Thomas Joiner is interviewed on this radio show. I think some of the comments are more powerful than the interview itself, but it is worth reading. I hate the stance he holds on anti-depressants. - That they help a lot of people so if a few die, because it exacerbates suicide, their deaths are ameliorated by those they prevent. At least that's what I extrapolate from his remark-"Sure, some people have individual reactions to them just like with any medicines, but they're helpful by and large." EXCUSE ME. HIS OWN FATHER SUICIDED ON ANTI-DEPRESSANTS. HE DOESN'T MENTION THAT. What if it was his child? How can he be so callous? How can he be so cavalier and off-hand without even suggesting that people should be very closely supervised on these meds? That it is not OK for anyone with a prescription pad and no mental health background to hand out these meds like candy. What an ass. I'm sorry, to those who think he's great, but although his work is important it doesn't go far enough. His over simplification of the causes of suicide also irritates me. But it's food for thought, and like I said the 47 comments are worth reading too.

I still find "Out of the Nightmare, Relief from Suicidal Depression and Pain" by David L. Conroy to be the best book I've attempted to read (I still can't read anything of any length, but I've read a lot that's resonated deeply in this book) on the subject though he too, sadly shies away from speaking in depth about the dangers or attributes of anti-depressants.
cali
Supporting

Re: NPR Interview about Suicide

Postby Bereaved1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:44 am

Thanks Cali. I'm going to take a look at "Out of the Nightmare, Relief from Suicidal Depression and Pain" by David L. Conroy. I think the bottom line about anti-depressants is that whatever involves conventional wisdom - like "if you don't feel well take a pill" and money is going to abused. I'm finding Louise Hay's Hay House writers/presenters very helpful at http://www.hayhouse.com/. I don't think they make as much money as the pharmaceutical world, including Drs. who only dispense. Doing their wisdom work, both as teacher/healer and healed takes time and commitment. You are right that "people should be very closely supervised on these meds". People also need to be listened to, validated, loved, presented with courage and hope and guided to finding their own solutions to their own life problems to achieve self-confidence.
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

Postby cali » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Somewhere else on this forum I stated that I try to be kind and courteous. Thomas Joiner is a survivor too. I am sorry I called him an ass. Got my sore spot touched. But I do find him to be pretty rigid in his thinking. However, I wish you well, Mr. Joiner. I hope you continue to learn and grow and teach people not to hide from this terribly difficult issue.
cali
Supporting

Postby Bereaved1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:02 am

Cali, don't worry about calling anybody an ass. I could only listen to the NPR interview for a couple of minutes. Both the Interviewer's and Joiner's attitudes and voices were very unpleasant sounding to me. I also read a couple of pages at Amazon.com of the Conroy book and found his language analysis of voluntary/involuntary very hard to understand relative to my emotional healing. I guess I need warm and fuzzy and found this Mayo Clinic link about Complicated Grief helpful because it explains our mixture of PTSD and depression at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/compli ... ef/DS01023
Maybe it's because our bereavement changed our lives completely. With the expected death of physically ill people, we are sad in our own life that continues the way it has been. These are just my thoughts.
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

Return to News and Information