Is suicide a choice

For suggestions on what helps us cope after our lives have been affected by suicide.

Is suicide a choice

Postby samwong » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:01 am

I come across an article that i always want to put it in words but couldnt.
It said as below.

Is suicide a choice?

" Choice implies that a suicidal person can reasonably look at the alternatives and select them. If they can rationally choose, it would not be suicide. Suicide happens when.... no other choice are seen. "
I LOVE MY MUM! SEE YOU IN HEAVEN WHEN MY TIME HAS COME.
GOD, Please show your loves to all.
samwong
Active

Re: Is suicide a choice

Postby Crystl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 am

I agree with the article too sam...very well said.
I believe people commit suicide when they have no choices left. ((hugs))
Crystl
Supporting

Postby mydnyghtamethyst » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:31 am

I agree with this as well. It's like Ash said to me the day of his death when he called that morning. I just thought he was saying the same stuff out of frustration, but now I realize he really was saying good-bye when he talked about being locked away from me for years and years. Living with no contribution to the world. Being told when to wake up, eat, shower, go to sleep, like an animal. That's not living at all.
mydnyghtamethyst

Postby cali » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:41 am

Yes sam. I believe this too.
cali
Supporting

Postby Bereaved1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:28 am

I agree that suicide is a choice people make when they have lost control of their human ability to be able to choose their attitude to any situation. I think it's sort of like a loss of optimism or faith in change or powerlessness. Viktor Frankl's book A MAN'S SEARCH FOR MEANING, http://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-Meani ... 687&sr=1-1 helps me. Who knows when or why their pessimism takes over or what makes it happen? When I start to think like this I realize that I'm contemplating philosophy. I think our challenge is to find out why some people can stay optimistic enough to keep going no matter what and why some people can't.
"And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin
Bereaved1
Supporting

Postby Crystl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:38 pm

sam I believe that none of our loved ones 'chose' to leave us ..
I have been to that point and know that nothing matters at that moment other than stopping the unbearable pain and believing there is no other way. ((hugs))
Crystl
Supporting

Postby samwong » Tue May 08, 2012 2:55 am

Just to revisit and read this statement. It help me time to time.
I LOVE MY MUM! SEE YOU IN HEAVEN WHEN MY TIME HAS COME.
GOD, Please show your loves to all.
samwong
Active

Postby Crystl » Tue May 08, 2012 4:34 am

I hope you find some peace in reading that sentence Sam....
I'm glad you still pop in here from time to time
I've missed seeing you around...
sending *hugs* for you, your wife and little Sophie
Crystl
Supporting

Postby Blossom » Tue May 08, 2012 4:55 am

My son did not know, could not know, no matter how hard he tried (and he did try, oh boy, did he try!), that it gets better. I had no choice but to take up his reins, to hold burning burning burning reins, and not let go, in order to find that it does indeed, get better. I wish we could have come to some other arrangement. Ugh - sarcasm - yuck!

Hello Sam - how is wee Sophie? I have missed seeing you here.
Blossom x

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
Blossom
Mentor

Postby cali » Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 pm

My son did not know, could not know, no matter how hard he tried (and he did try, oh boy, did he try!), that it gets better.

That was true for my son. I believe it is true for pretty much everyone who dies of suicide. That is why there is nothing to forgive him for. He didn't know. He tried very hard to know but he could not. It is how in my more sane moments I forgive myself for not being the best parent ever. I tried very hard to do right by my son. I tried very hard for him, the love of my life. Sure I can wish for more- time, experiences, healing, hugs, conversations, joy, grandchildren. But all those wishes are not worth trading one second of his precious life for. It is not his fault that he died. What a spectacular person he was. What a gift.

"I wish we could have come to some other arrangement." Indeed. Blossom, indeed. Who are we all and what the heck are we doing here. I hope I don't offend anyone, but really, this reality we all share is just nuts.
cali
Supporting

Next

Return to Coping