Losing a Father

Especially for those whose mothers or fathers died by suicide.

Losing a Father

Postby karenp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Losing a Father to Suicide

This is a new post from my blog http://suicidegriefmeditations.blogspot.com/

“I just adored him.”
Frances Moore (1998)

Stereotypically, my father was the breadwinner; he was the person my mother used to threaten to tell of my misbehavior when I was a child; he was supposedly the man in control. I felt he was my protector, too, and even though I was an adult now, that child-like feeling was still within my heart. I felt he could handle anything. I loved and adored my father.

Some may not care for their fathers. Some fathers are bastards. Really there’s no easy way to deny that reality. Either way, the loss of someone so instrumental in getting you into this world is a major event.

To lose my father to a death of his own decision created a lot of different questions in my mind. Could suicide be something that I might choose to do because I have his genes? Did I mean this little to him? Did I not love him enough? What the hell was he thinking?

Your father’s decision to die is not the sum total of his life. If you adored him; allow yourself to feel the heartbreak. If you were mixed up by his treatment of you; allow yourself to feel the confusion.
karenp
Regular

Re: Losing a Father

Postby BluePookie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:44 am

I felt he was my protector, too, and even though I was an adult now, that child-like feeling was still within my heart.

I completely feel that too but sometimes I feel stupid for feeling that. I'm 28, I'm not a child anymore but I feel so unprotected :( No matter how old we are I guess our parents are always our rock. The ones you know you can always count on. Suddenly the world seems so big and scary :?

I have the exact same questions in my head...
BluePookie

Re: Losing a Father

Postby karenp » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:40 am

BluePookie,
I hope that you give yourself the permission to feel your feelings without thinking they are "stupid". They are not.

Love
Karenp
karenp
Regular

Return to Sons and Daughters